The present Church was built by John de Grey in 1310, following the erection of Ruthin Castle by his father, Reginald de Grey in 1277. For some time before this Ruthin had been the home of a nunnery and a prior. From 1310 to 1536 St Peter’s was a Collegiate Church served by a Warden and seven priests.
Following the dissolution of the College its work was restored on a new pattern by Gabriel Goodman (1528-1601), a Ruthin man who became Dean of Westminster in 1561. Goodman re-established Ruthin school in 1574 and refounded the Almshouses of Christ’s Hospital, together with the Wardenship of Ruthin in 1590.
St.Peter’s is easy to find. Go to the Square in the centre of Ruthin and you can’t miss it.
Sine then, St Peter’s has continued as a Parochial Church with its Warden, Churchwardens and Parochial Church Council. A close relationship is maintained between the Church, Ruthin School and the Almshouses of Christ’s Hospital.
Ruthin has no rail station but there are connecting buses from Rhyl and Wrexham rail stations. There are also bus services to Ruthin from Denbigh, Mold, and Corwen