The North Wales region is home to some incredibly talented chefs and wonderful restaurants of all varieties. From charming cafes to friendly bistros, there is always a new dining discovery around every corner.
Although there are many spectacular gastro pubs, brasseries, bistros and family style restaurants around North Wales we are also well known for our superb fine dining restaurants.
For those looking to encounter the best fine dining restaurants and places to eat in North Wales, the team at North Wales.com have compiled our very own list of, what we believe, are the top 20 restaurants in North Wales.
*Browse our favourite fine dining restaurants below in alphabetical order.
1) Bodysgallen Hall – This is one of the most famous fine dining restaurants in North Wales and does not really qualify as a hidden gem since it is probably one of the most well-known fine dining establishments in the area. In 2013 it was named by The Times as one of the best restaurants in the UK, let alone Wales and was named by The Observer as one of the best places for Sunday Lunch. Last year the restaurant was awarded 3 AA Rosettes and it has a long history with the life of the building spanning 600 years.
The hotel was restored in the 1980s by Historic House Hotels and is currently owned by the National Trust. The restaurant offers a highly sophisticated and varied cuisine in the dining hall which provides an exquisite formal fine dining atmosphere. The culinary experience is one of delicate, delicious and inventive food from a team of expert chefs who really know their craft.
Located in the rolling hills in the countryside surrounding Llandudno.
Address: The Royal Welsh Way, Llandudno, North Wales LL30 1RS
2) Bryn Williams at Porth Eirias – If you are looking for a more modern, trendy dining experience we cannot avoid mentioning Bryn Williams at Porth Eirias. A much newer addition to the region but well worth a visit as it comes from the mind of famous London chef Bryn who also brought the UK Odette’s in London’s Primrose Hill.
Bryn originally hails from right here in North Wales in the medieval town of Denbigh. He has worked for some of the most prestigious kitchens in London and now brings his expertise back home with a bistro style restaurant in the beach front in Colwyn Bay. A great choice for extraordinary food in a more relaxed atmosphere. Plenty of fresh seafood on the menu, perfect for a North Wales coastal restaurant.
Address: The Promenade, Colwyn Bay, Conwy, LL29 8HH
3) Castle Cottage Harlech – To enjoy a luxurious and contemporary styled fine dining restaurant in the borderlands of North Wales and Mid Wales try the Castle Cottage Harlech. They are the Mid Wales winner and overall winner for Wales of The True Taste Eating Out Award for 2008 and 2009. The restaurant was also featured in the National Restaurant Awards in 2011 and the Top 100 Restaurants. The establishment holds a Visit Wales Gold Award for 2014 and offers an intimate yet luxurious atmosphere with traditional Welsh food. This restaurant has a strong focus on local produce, sourcing some of the best meat, veg and seafood from across Wales.
Address: Castle Cottage Restaurant with Rooms, Y Llech, Harlech, Meirionnydd, Gwynedd, LL46 2YL
4) Chantrey’s Restaurant at the Imperial Hotel – The Imperial Hotel in Llandudno is one of the most popular hotels in Llandudno and it has the restaurant to match. Chantrey’s Restaurant is the perfect place for seaviews, fine dining in a formal setting with a sumptuous décor. The head chef Arwel Jones is renowned for his signatures dishes and expertly crafted seasonal specialities. The restaurant has an AA Rosette to its name and is well known for its excellent service as well.
Address: The Promenade, Vaughan St, Llandudno, Conwy LL30 1AP
5) Château Rhianfa – For a prestigious restaurant in a magical setting Château Rhianfa is an ideal choice. The hotel is a majestic Grade II listed building situated right on the Menai Strait near Beaumaris overlooking Anglesey and the restaurant won Hotel Restaurant of the Year 2015 in the Welsh Food Awards. The head chef is really making a name for himself with inventive menu and sourcing the best local North Wales produce. The fine dining restaurant also takes pairing its delicious food with the right wine very seriously and even offers special wine tasting evenings in its grand wine caves.
Address: Château Rhianfa, Beaumaris, Anglesey, LL59 5NS
6) Hotel Portmeirion – In addition to being a top attraction in North Wales with the village’s unique style, Portmeirion is also a top fine dining destination. The Hotel Portmeirion is a recent winner of two AA Rosettes and boasts award winning chef Mark Threadgill who adds a contemporary twist to classic British/European dishes. The dining room is art deco style with a more informal setting.
Address: Hotel Portmeirion, Portmeirion Village, Minffordd, Penrhyndeudraeth, Gwynedd LL48 6ER
7) Lake Vyrnwy Hotel Tower Restaurant – On the borders with Mid Wales this charming restaurant finds itself within a lake side hotel in Llanwddyn, Powys. It has held an AA Rosette for many years thanks to its stylish yet unpretentious approach to French cuisine in an elegant dining room.
Address: Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa , Llanwddyn, Powys, SY10 0LY
8) Machine House Restaurant – This delightful restaurant in Rossett near Wrexham quickly made a name for itself with its wonderful food focusing on fresh local produce. They are in the Michelin Guide and just this year were featured as one of the top 45 restaurants in Wales by Wales Online. Sadly the restaurant is currently closed, since June 2015, while the owners renovate their cottages and the future of the restaurant’s return currently remains undecided. Its fans await with crossed fingers and baited breath for the announcement of a reopening.
Address: Machine House Restaurant, Chester Road, Rossett, LL12 OHW
9) Manorhaus Restaurant – Located in Ruthin this excellent fine dining restaurant offers a smart yet more informal atmosphere and an exquisite cuisine crafted from local produce. It is featured in the Michelin Guide and has been since 2010 and it was also a winner of the Penderyn Whisky Welsh Restaurant Award.
Address: Well Street, Ruthin, Denbighshire LL15 1AH
10) Mawddach Restaurant – In Dolgellau Mawddach presents a traditional and contemporary blend with menus that emphasise the power of simple yet luxurious food, focusing on intense flavour. Ifan Dunn is the head chef and started the restaurant with his brother after winning Welsh Young Chef of the year and achieving AA Best Restaurant in Wales in Cardiff.
Address: Llanelltyd, Dolgellau, Gwynedd, LL402TA
11) On The Hill Restaurant – Another feather in the cap for the town of Ruthin in terms of top restaurants is On The Hill Restaurant. More of a bistro style establishment than fine dining but well worth a visit for splendid food and a great ambiance. The restaurant is located in a 16th century building, with beautiful dark wood beams, oak floors and intimate lighting. The menu is inventive, always offering a new experience and plenty of variety.
Address: 1 Upper Clwyd Street, Ruthin, Denbighshire, LL15 1HY
12) Peak Restaurant – The Peak Restaurant in Llanberis is one of the most popular restaurants in Snowdonia. It has an impressive reputation with head chef Angela Dwyer having previously worked in top London and California restaurants such as Chez Panisse and The Groucho Club. She has served clientele including Madonna, Queen, Lenny Henry and Dawn French. She was also lucky enough to do the food at Nigella Lawson’s first wedding. The restaurant was also featured on Marco Pierre White’s Kitchen Wars.
Address: 86 High Street, Llanberis, Gwynedd, LL55 4SU
13) Quay Fine Dining – This charming little restaurant presents an unfussy, elegant fine dining atmosphere in Connah’s Quay. It makes a nice change from the highly European dining offered in most local fine dining restaurant as it specialises in an array and delicious Indian, Thai and Greek style food, including stunning signature dishes in an Indian theme.
Address: Ffordd Llanarth, Deeside Shopping Centre, Connah’s Quay, CH5 4UP
14) Quay Hotel Deganwy Grill Room Restaurant – The award winning Grill Room Restaurant at the Quay Hotel in Deganwy not only offers some of the most breathtaking views around from its terrace, overlooking Conwy Estuary, Conwy Mountains and Conwy Castle. This fine dining establishment is the proud owner of two AA Rosettes and a highly skilled team of chefs delivering beautifully presented, tasty food formed from the best Welsh produce.
Address: The Quay Hotel, Deganwy Quay, Deganwy, Conwy, LL31 9DJ
15) Signatures Restaurant – With its lavish décor, contemporary ambiance and theatre style kitchen Signatures easily represents one of the best fine dining experiences in North Wales. A wide variety of creative food is prepared with knowledgeable staff on hand to explain the food and help you choose. They are winners of the 2013 Best Welsh Restaurant and if you join the Signatures Food & Wine Club you can get a variety of benefits, including priority booking and a wide range of offers that change every month.
Address: Aberconwy Resort & Spa, Conwy LL32 8GA
16) St Georges Hotel Terrace Restaurant – The award winning Terrace Restaurant at St George’s Hotel in Llandudno offers a décor and style that matches the luxury hotel, along with beautiful food and remarkable seaviews.
Address: St. George’s Hotel, The Promenade, Llandudno, Conwy LL30 2LG
17) Tyddyn Llan – This fine dining restaurant offers a spectacular array of menus with gorgeous food sourced from the best suppliers, whether that calls for the best local produce in Wales or special ingredients brought in from Scotland or even Naples.
The restaurant has a Michelin star, a high rating in the 2016 Good Food Guide 6/10, they are featured in the 2016 Good Hotel Guide ‘Editor’s Gourmet Choice’ and are former ‘True Taste North Wales’ Restaurant of the Year.
With its special tasting menus, main menus, aperitifs, cheese menu, dessert menus and special wine nights you will discover a remarkable cuisine full of delightful flavours.
Address: Tyddyn Llan, Llandrillo, nr. Corwen, Denbighshire, LL21 0ST
18) Tyn Rhos’ Fine Dining Restaurant in Caernarfon – A beautiful fine dining restaurant near Caernarfon with picturesque garden views. Sumptuous food is served in the intimate but elegant dining room from the brigade of skilled chefs. Menus have a strong focus on local produce and the season, always utilising the freshest ingredients and a regularly updated menu to reflect the best food available at each time of the year. A great establishment for experiencing a true taste of Wales throughout the year. A friendly, unfussy service with visually stunning and mouth-watering food is a winning combination. Tyn Rhos restaurant has an extensive selection of wines paired perfectly with each dish. The restaurant is also well known as a great spot for elegant afternoon tea in the area.
Address: Ty’n Rhos, Seion, Llanddeiniolen, Caernarfon, Snowdonia, LL55 3AE
19) Watsons Bistro Conwy – This is a more of a relaxed bistro environment but still a great place to find wonderful food, top service and a brilliant setting. Found in the historic walled town of Conwy this family run establishment puts great customer service, delicious, unpretentious food and a warm, inviting setting at the forefront of its vision.
Address: Chapel Street, Conwy, Snowdonia National Park, LL32 8BP
20) Ye Olde Bulls Head Inn Loft Restaurant – With 3 AA Rosettes and winners of the Best Restaurant in Wales 2013 the Ye Olde Bulls Head Inn Loft Restaurant cannot be overlooked for one of the best dining experiences in North Wales. Located on the romantic Anglesey coast in Beaumaris it presents a truly gorgeous setting with an ultra-modern, luxury décor. The inn itself plays an important historic role in the local culture and has been there for over 500 years. The Loft restaurant is located in the eaves, in the oldest part of the building. The head chef produces fabulous modern twists on traditional British dishes. They are well known for sourcing local Anglesey produce including Welsh Black beef, salt marsh lamb and an array of seafood.
Address: Ye Olde Bulls Head Inn, Castle Street, Beaumaris, Anglesey, LL58 8AP
Latest posts by North Wales Admin (see all)
- Llandudno Christmas Fayre 2017 - November 13, 2017
- Events In North Wales This November - November 2, 2017
- Tir Prince Wins 18th Fastest Growing Company In Wales - October 25, 2017